The purpose of the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course is to provide students with academic and working knowledge to successfully pass the NREMT exam, and become state certified to provide basic life support patient care. This course not only provides the basic concepts of emergency care needed to function as an EMT, but will also be helpful for other healthcare fields.
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) works directly with other EMS and First Responders to provide basic life support care to critically ill or injured patients. EMTs will also work in conjunction with a paramedic to provide advanced life support (ALS) .
As an EMT student you will learn to manage an airway using artificial devices, assess the severity of illness or injury, manage wounds and bleeding, immobilize fractures, perform CPR, utilize an automated defibrillator, and a host of other procedures. Recent curriculum changes at the national and state level allow EMTs to assist with the administration of some medications.
EMTs are entry-level EMS providers. They are essential in the EMS chain of survival. Additionally, one must become a certified EMT before entering the paramedic program.
This Course Covers
The EMT Course has three components:
- Didactic (160 hours): technical, theory and practical hands-on education
- Clinical (24 hours): field training (2 EMS ride-alongs) with a minimum of 10 patient contacts
- Testing (12 hours): weekly exams, midterm, and final exam
Through lectures, interactive presentations, skills labs and simulations, you will build the knowledge and skills to care for patients. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be eligible to take the national registry exam, which is required prior to applying for California State EMT certification.
This course meets all the educational requirements for the certification process as specified in the regulations of the State of California Emergency Medical Services Authority.
- EMT-A Class Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays: 5:30pm – 9:30pm | Saturdays: 9:00am – 5:30pm
- EMT-B Class Schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 5:30pm – 9:30pm | Sundays: 9:00am – 5:30pm
- EMT 5 Week Class: Monday – Thursday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
5 Week EMT Program – $2250
10 Week EMT Program – $1850
– Payment Plans available –
Students will be required to purchase the eBook during orientation and a link to this will be provided (Approx $250). This includes online access to the course curriculum (quizzes, tests, supplemental study materials and the digital eBook). The physical book is available for purchase however, this does not replace the required eBook.
- Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, Twelfth Edition
- Navigate 2 Advantage Digital Supplement EMT 12E and FISDAP – Psychomotor Skills Tracking App
- EMT Patch – You will receive this on the 1st day of class
- EMS Shirt – Navy Blue Short-Sleeve Button Up
- Undershirt – Navy Blue
- EMS Pants – Navy Blue
- EMS Boots – Black
- Black Belt
- 7.5 Trauma Shears
- Blood Pressure Cuff
- Pen Light
- Wrist Watch (with a second hand)
- Negative TB Test (within the last 18 months)
- TDAP (within the last 10 years)
- Proof of MMR, HepB, Varicella
- Seasonal Flu Shot
- Complete Covid – 19 Vaccination / Booster
- Live Scan Report
- This is a PERSONAL background check in which applicants will need to submit the above form to a Live Scan location and be fingerprinted and then bring the results to Defib Academy.
- Please keep in mind that a Live Scan report takes roughly ONE WEEK to process, to be sure to start this process early.
- Defib Academy cannot accept Live Scan results mailed directly to our facility. They *must* be sent to the student directly and then turned in to the admin staff.
- EMT Student Insurance
- In the event that we are able to offer Ride-Alongs with an Ambulance company each student will be required to purchase personal liability insurance in order to participate.
- Laptop, iPad or Tablet (All students must possess a laptop, iPad or tablet to complete assignments)
- BLS (Basic Life Support Certification) **Must be from the American Heart Association, no other certification companies will be accepted**